Thursday, February 11, 2010

Houses and Hot Chocolate

I haven't had a good day like this in a long time. I'm savoring it. This morning I woke up to my valentines day gift sitting on the pillow next to mine. My mom was begging me to open it but I told her I had to wait until Tedd could see me open it. I ended up organizing my room and getting ready for work. I felt really accomplished. To get to work I have to take this 3 mile long road called Lehi main. It's the only road that takes me to I-15, the main interstate in Utah. Instead of taking the 7-10 minutes I usually take to drive down that particular road, it took me a good 30 minutes. Traffic usually frustrates me but today it didn't. I just so happened to stop right behind this house that I've seen quite a bit since I've moved here. I don't know why this house didn't capture my attention before. The house was beautiful on the outside, it looked brand new but something caught my eye on the back of the house. It was their back door. It was beaten and weather torn. It just seemed out of place. Eventually traffic let up and I was able to roll about half a mile. I couldn't (and still can't) get that back door out of my mind. It got me thinking about life and how we all change. When we grow old...we move away, get married, get careers,and have families. We all get a new casing, a new us. That house was like the new casing. Beautiful, new, fresh, had so much potential. Then I thought about that back door. I was like that door isn't out of place it's there for a reason if the owner decided to keep it there. It had a purpose. I like to think of that back door as the part of ourselves that we keep. It's the part of us that never goes away. It's what make us unique...We all build our own houses but we will always keep that back door. My mind was incredibly open today I don't know why. Work was really good today. I felt like I bonded with my coworkers more and I was able to talk with clients easier than normal. One guy called me to make an appointment and he ended the conversation with "Wow you must really be in a good mood today" I just replied " yes sir it's been a great day today" It just felt really good that someone noticed my optimism. I can't stop looking at my valentines day present from Tedd. It makes me laugh. It's an Urban Dictionary mug with the definition of my name on the back. It's just awesome. Drinking hot chocolate just got 100 times better. Thank You Teddy you made my day. This posting is going to be short but I've gotten the highlights out. Now... I'm going to go and make myself a cup of hot chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment